CIE Biology Paper-5: Specimen Questions 7 - 8 of 62
Question number: 7
Describe in Detail
The basic structural shape of human and gorilla skulls are similar. Write three differences between human skulls and gorilla skulls. Write some activities of gorilla
Three differences between human skulls and gorilla skulls.
| || |
2. Small brow ridge
Large and distinctive brow ridge
3. Larger braincase
Some activities of gorilla are:
- Travel or movement occur especially in search of food
- Feeding on various types of vegetation
- Nest building
- Social interaction for example grooming
- Reproduction and parenting
Question number: 8
Describe in Detail
Write an experiment, which shows that light, is essential for photosynthesis process.
Apparatus and materials required-
- A healthy potted plant
- Petri dish
- Beaker containing water
- Water bath
- Piece of wire gauze
- Iodine solution
Theory-Photosynthesis is a process in which producers synthesize simple sugar in the presence of sun using carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and water from the soil.
6CO2 + 12H2O ChlorophyII/Sunlight gives C6H12O6 + 6H2O + 6O2
- At first take a plant and keep it in dark area for 2 - 3 days
- Cover a part of one of its leaf with the strip of black paper.
- Now place this plant in sunlight for 4 - 5 hours.
- Pluck the selected covered leaf and remove the black paper covering the small part of leaf
- Put this leaf in the beaker containing water and boil it for about 10 minutes
- Take out the leaf and then boil it in alcohol for 10 minutes. Which will removes the chlorophyll.
- Take out the leaf and wash it under running water.
- Place this leaf in the Petri dish and put a few drops of iodine solution on it. Now observe the change in color.
The leaf turns blue-black color except in the covered region. As this covered area did not have light, photosynthesis did not occur. Hence, no starch formed there. The uncovered are got light and starch occur due to photosynthesis.
Light is essential for photosynthesis.