CIE Biology Paper-4: Specimen Questions 3 - 3 of 120
Question number: 3
Write in Brief
Explain the terms systematics, Taxonomy, Classification and Nomenclature. What are the general rules are used for nomenclature.
- Systematics: It is the branch of science with deals with the diversity of organism at the each level of classification.
- Taxonomy: Taxonomy is the branch of science that deals with the principles and procedure of identification, nomenclature and classification of the organism. it can be divided into two types:
1-Classical taxonomy-It is based on morphological characters
2-Modern taxonomy-It is based on biological characters
- Classification: Classification is the arrangement of organism into convenient category.
- Nomenclature: An organism is known by different languages so it is impossible to remember the different name of an organism so there is a need for uniform system of nomenclature. So naming of a particular organism in such a way that it is known by the same name all over the world. Carolous Linnaeus gave Binomial nomenclature.
General rules for nomenclature are-
- Biological names are usually written in Latin. They are written in italics.
- It contains two terms (I) Genus (II) Species
- Biological name is underlined when handwritten
- The first term of biological name is start with capital letter. The second term is start with small letter.