CIE Frequently asked questions about IGCSE
How much does it cost?
- IGCSE subjects are charged per subject rather than per unit (as the A level is). You should check with your exam centre to get the current cost per subject.
When do the results come out?
- The results are generally released in August (for the May/June exam session) or March (for the January session). Check the exact date with your exam centre.
What happens if I am dissatisfied with my results?
- You can discuss your options with your exam centre. It is possible to retake subjects. It might be worth considering having the paper remarked.
How many IGCSE subjects should I take?
- It really depends on the purpose for which you are taking them. The convention in UK schools is to sit eight to ten subjects. However, this is primarily a function of maintaining a broad curriculum in mainstream schools. Students in other educational systems or taking subjects in a different context may only need to take one or two subjects. Ask a counsellor for help.
When is the cut off time for withdrawing from an IGCSE subject?
- Candidates can withdraw from a subject any time up to the exam date. It might even be possible to withdraw after the exam date. There will be no refund on fees paid if you withdraw after the enrolment deadline.
Can I get my exam paper back?
- It is possible to request a copy of the paper but it may not be possible for all subjects. There is a fee for this service.
I have lost my certificate what can I do?
- The exam board can help you. They will charge for a replacement certificate.
Can I get extra help in my examinations?
- If you have a recognised condition which has been certified by a professional, it might be possible to apply for extra time or another type of aid.
What happens if I miss my exam through no fault of my own?
- You should contact the centre as soon as possible. It might be possible to transfer your enrolment to the next available exam session.
If the exam doesn't go well what can I do?
- You can withdraw if you want and then retake the subject later on:
When should I register? What is the registration closing date?
- You should check with your exam centre as they have all of the relevant closing dates. Remember different centres might have slightly different dates so if one centre tells you that you've missed the enrolment deadline, try another one.
How do I register as a private candidate?
- Contact your exam centre as they have forms for you to complete.